Monday, October 29, 2012

Oct. 29, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Monday, Oct. 29, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Resentment

Of all the negative emotions, resentment diminishes us the most. It brings unwarranted anger toward those who have something we want, and self-pity for ourselves. It drains us of the energy we need to change our lives and work toward goals. Resentment keeps us in a rigid judgment of who "should" and who "should not" achieve success; all "should" attitudes are pointless, breeding discontent and wasting time. Above all, resentment is ugly to see and even uglier to feel. When I'm resentful, I feel hatred toward others and myself.

Today, I ask for the humility to accept my limitations, without resenting others who have exceeded them. I ask for the courage to pursue my own goals, not comparing myself to others.

From the book:

Help for Helpers © 1989 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment