Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Oct. 24, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

I wish I hadn't lost track of the guys I was stationed with. I kick myself for that. --Tom Harding

We all have regrets, don't we? Some of us left jobs or spouses or neighborhoods only to wish we hadn't. Perhaps we closed the door on our family of origin and then felt grief when parents or siblings died. More commonly we regret the instances when our mean spirited behavior or attitude hurt someone else. We weren't always honest and forthright; we didn't always try to help a friend or co-worker who needed our advice. We simply didn't put our best self forward when the opportunities for doing so presented themselves.

Dwelling on the "shoulds" of past years is fruitless. We did the best we knew how to do at the time. The past is gone. Let's quit digging up the bones of old regrettable experiences. All they do is cloud our minds when we're trying to respond to today's opportunities.

I won't have anything to regret tomorrow if I respond to today with my best self.

From the book:


Keepers of the Wisdom © 1996 by Karen Casey. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment