Thursday, October 25, 2012

Oct. 25, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Thursday, Oct. 25, 2012
Today's thought is:

The Junkie can never start to cure himself until he recognizes his true condition-- Malcolm X

Now we know what the problem is. Now we can do something about it. The truth of our problem is, we can't handle alcohol or other drugs. They handle us. They control us. The Steps ask us to face the truth. And the truth sets us free. What a wonderful gift! We feared the truth, but now it's our friend. It's a relief. Facing the truth means we're honest. And honesty is our best friend in recovery. It's like a cozy fire on a winter's night. Honesty is how we get well. It's also what will keep us well. Do I truly believe I can't use alcohol or other drugs?

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, help me see my illness for what it is. It's my enemy. Help me see that honesty is my best friend.

Action for the Day
Today, I'll take fifteen minutes to think about what my true condition was when I was drinking and drugging. And I'll think about what my true condition is now.

From the book:


Keep It Simple © 1989 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment