Saturday, March 18, 2017

March 18, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Saturday, March 18, 2017
 
Reflection for the Day
In the old days, we often had such devastating experiences that we fervently swore, "Never again." We were absolutely sincere in those moments of desperation. Yet, despite our intentions, the outcome was inevitably the same. Eventually, the memory of our suffering faded, as did the memory of our "pledge." So we did it again, ending up in even worse shape than when we had last "sworn off." Forever turned out to be only a week, or a day, or less. In The Program, we learn that we need only be concerned about today, this particular 24-hour period.

Do I live my life just 24 hours at a time?

Today I Pray
May the long-term requirements of such phrases as "never again," "not on your life," "forever," "I'll never take another ..." not weaken my resolve. "Forever," when it is broken down into single days - or even just parts of days - does not seem so impossibly long. May I awake each day with my goal set realistically at just 24 hours.

Today I Will Remember
Twenty-four hours at a time.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment