Saturday, March 11, 2017

March 11, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, March 11, 2017
 
Today, should I be tempted to try "just one" and then "just one more night," let me have the honesty to admit to myself that I have already premeditated a slip or relapse and to find the wisdom "to change the things I can."  And a temptation is something I CAN change. Grant me the courage to do what the program suggests when temptation calls - reach out to a sponsor, co-member, or even an online contact BEFORE I take the drink. Asking for help AFTER is too late. And if I don't have the sense to seek help before the drink, let me remember the yesterdays of morning afters and their residue: hangovers, shakes, guilt, remorse, memory loss, fear, shame. Is any of that worth the instant gratification of a drink and, with all honesty, does my drinking history have even ONE drink? No! Today, if I am tempted, let me have the courage to muster the honesty to tell myself that I am premeditating a relapse, that a slip is a myth and that the consequence simply isn't worth it. And, today, I'll call help. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment