Thursday, March 16, 2017

March 16, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Thursday, March 16, 2017
 
Reflection for the Day
The Program teaches us that we are bodily and mentally different than our fellows. We are reminded that the great obsession of every abnormal drinker - and every one of us who is otherwise addictive - is to prove that somehow, some day, we will be able to control our drinking, eating or gambling. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing, we are told, and many pursue it to the gates of insanity or death.

Have I conceded to my innermost self that, for me, "One is too many and a thousand not enough ...?"

Today I Pray
May I have no illusions about someday becoming a moderate drinker or drug-user after being an obsessive one. May I muffle any small voice of destructive pride which lies to me, telling me that I can now go back to my former addiction and control it. This is a Program of no-return, and I thank God for it.

Today I Will Remember
My goal must be lifelong abstinence - a day at a time.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment