Friday, March 17, 2017

March 17, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Friday, March 17, 2017
 
Reflection for the Day
"Lead us not into temptation,"  we pray, for we know with certainty that temptation lurks around the corner. Temptation is cunning, baffling, powerful - and patient; we never know when it will catch us with our guard down. Temptation could come in the siren song of a four-color advertisement, the fragment of a half-remembered song or, more obviously, in the direct urgings of another person. We must remain forever vigilant, remembering that the first drink gets us drunk, that the first obsessive bite will likely trigger an overeating orgy, that the first roll of the dice could well destroy our lives.

Am I aware of my number one priority?

Today I Pray
God, lead me out of temptation - whether it is the jolly-but-alcoholic abandon of my peers at a special-occasion celebration, the pressure from my friends to "get in the spirit" of a party, the familiar aura of an apartment where joints are passed around, the sound of rattling dice, the smell of a bakery. May I know the limits of my resistance and stay well within them. May my surrender to the will of God give a whole new meaning to that old phrase, "Get in the spirit."

Today I Will Remember
Get in the spirit.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment