Tuesday, April 18, 2017

April 18, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Reflection for the Day
We in The Program know full well the futility of trying to overcome our addictions by willpower alone. At the same time, we do know that it takes great willingness to adopt The Program's Twelve Steps as a way of life that can restore us to sanity. No matter how severe our addictions, we discover with relief that choices can still be made. For example, we can choose to admit that we're personally powerless over chemical dependency; that dependence upon a Higher Power is a necessity, even if this be simply dependence upon our group in The Program.

Have I chosen to try for a life of honesty and humility, of selfless service to my fellows and to God as I understand Him?

Today I Pray
God grant me the wisdom to know the difference between "willpower" (which has failed me before) and "willingness" to seek help for my dependency, through Him and through others who are also recovering. May I know that there are choices open to me as there are to my fellow-sufferers in the foggiest stages of addiction. May I choose the kind of life God wants for me.

Today I Will Remember
Willingness, more than willpower, is the key to recovery.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment