Saturday, April 15, 2017

April 5, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Saturday, April 15, 2017 
Reflection for the Day
Rare are the practicing alcoholics who have any idea how irrational they are or, seeing their irrationality, can bear to face it. One reason is that they are abetted in their blindness by a world which doesn't yet understand the difference between sane drinking and alcoholism. The dictionary defines sanity as "soundness of mind." Yet no alcoholic, soberly analyzing his or her destructive behavior, can truly claim soundness of mind. 
Have I come to believe, as the Second Step suggests, that a Power greater than myself can restore me to sanity? 
Today I Pray
May I see that my own behavior as a practicing alcoholic, a drug user or a compulsive over-eater, could be described as "insane." For those still actively addicted, admitting to "insane" behavior is well-nigh impossible. I pray that I may continue to abhor the insanities and inanities of my addictive days. May others like me recognize their problems of addiction, find help in treatment and in The Program, and come to believe that a Higher Power can restore them to sanity. 
Today I Will Remember
He restoreth my soul. 

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment