Monday, October 24, 2016

Oct. 24, 2016 - Addiction and Recovery: A Day at a Time

The Serenity Prayer
A Day at a Time
Monday, Oct. 24, 2016

Reflection for the Day
So many of us in the Program went through childhood - as well as part of our adult lives - emotionally shackled with the terrible burden called shyness. We found it difficult to walk into crowded rooms, to converse with even our friends, to make eye contact with anyone. The agonies we suffered! We learned in The Program that shyness is just another manifestation of self-centered fear, which is the root of all our character defects. Shyness, specifically, is fear of what others think or might think about us. To our enormous relief, our shyness gradually leaves us as we work The Program and interact with others.

Am I aware that I'm okay as long as I don't concentrate on me?

Today I Pray
God, may I be grateful that I am getting over my shyness, after years of pulling back from people, squirming, blushing, blurting out all the "wrong things" or saying nothing at all - then reliving the agonies and imagining what I should have said and done. May I know that it has taken a full-blown addiction and a lot of caring people to convince me that I'm okay - and you're okay, he's okay and so is she.

Today I Will Remember
A cure for shyness is caring about somebody else.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment