Sunday, October 23, 2016

Oct. 23, 2016 - Addiction and Recovery: Step by Step

The Serenity Prayer
Step by Step
Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016

Today, if some habit seems too strong for me to overcome, I won't waste energy to fight what I shouldn't: I'll simply change the game rules. If being drunk was habitual, I'll make being sober a habit. If I have a temptation, craving or compulsion, I'll take a 10th or 12th Step. If lying was or still is a habit, telling the truth will be the new habit and in the process, I might learn how much easier honesty is compared to the work it takes to keep the lies going. If interacting with anyone was from an antagonistic or condescending perspective, I'll make a habit of asking my higher power to remind me that I wouldn't tolerate anyone treating me as I treat them. If dodging responsibility was or still is a habit, I'll face the music if for no other reason than to be done with it. If I think my perspective of any issue is the only logical one and that everyone needs to hear it, I'll ask my higher power that I consider the possibility that mine might not be the only opinion, and certainly not the best. Habits die hard, and humans - addicts and non-addicts alike - are notoriously resistant to change. Today I'll simply change the game rules and, in the end, make sobriety instead of alcohol my addiction. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment