Thursday, June 20, 2024

June 20, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 


Thursday, June 20, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Summer

I have a nostalgic attachment to summer because I remember it as being such a joyful time in my childhood. Despite the family dysfunction, mosquito bites, sunburns, and unbearable humidity of the East Coast town where I was raised, summers were fun. We had a big pool, and our backyard was filled with cousins, Kool-Aid, and hot dogs every weekend from June through September. Those were some of the happiest weekends of my young life. I live clear across the country these days, and I still love summer.

Recovery has taught me to appreciate and be present for the best that season has to offer. I love the smell of cut grass, even though I'm allergic to it. I love the sunshine that lasts long into the night. I love that I can get to the beach in ten minutes. I love Saturday drives out into the country, the farm stands, the corn, and all the fresh fruit and vegetables. I love hanging out at home with friends, family, and especially my grandkids. The backyard menu no longer includes Kool-Aid, and the pool is just a kiddie pool, but I know those kids are making memories that will last their lifetime too.

Every season of the year, and of our lives,
has its own highlights.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment