Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 27, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Saturday, April 27, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Regret is an appalling waste of energy, you can't build on it; it's only good for wallowing in.
 -- Katherine Mansfield

Newcomer
Someone I hoped would be an important part of my life for years to come has left. I'm devastated. I don't know how much of what happened is my fault; I keep thinking, "If only I hadn't said what I said . . . "
Sponsor
Human lives are filled with all kinds of separation. Friends, mates, and family members - the people in our lives are only lent to us. If they accompany us for some part of our journey, we're blessed. We don't get to control or keep them.

Sentences beginning "if only" can go nowhere but straight to regret. They support our false belief that we can control what happens in other people's lives. "I should have," "I could have," and "I would have" are all variations on the same theme. They postpone acceptance and necessary grieving.

At times it's we, ourselves, who do the leaving. We can count it a success, not a failure, when we've had the courage to acknowledge the truth of an ending.

Today, though I may go through some pain as I learn acceptance, I rejoice in the strength and clarity it gives me.
From the book:
If You Want What We Have © 1998 by Joan Larkin. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment