Thursday, March 28, 2013

March 28, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, March 28, 2013
 
Today, I will not romanticize or create a myth that any of my drinking days were "fun" or good if a newcomer to the Program or even a veteran talks about "the good old days." By embellishing drinking before "things went bad" and even constructing a vision that any of it was good, I am probably pining for days when I might have drank "safely" without being honest that those days never existed at all. And by longing for non-existent "good old days," I am vulnerable to a slip or relapse and denying the truth that I am now, and forever will be, "powerless over alcohol." More pointedly, if I try to re-do my last drunk into something that is not true, I have basically forgotten my last drunk. And as one of the Program's old sayings goes, if I can't remember my last drunk, I haven't had it yet. Today, I will remember with honesty how it was and that it has been, so far by the grace of God, my last drunk. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment