Friday, November 17, 2017

Nov. 17, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Nov. 17, 2017

Today, understand that not drinking or using by themselves do not equal sobriety or recovery. Addiction is a three-tiered disease of the physical, spiritual and emotional. Abstaining may treat the physical, by it neglects the spiritual and emotional. My self-imposed wounds to my spiritual and mental psyches, not to mention to other people, can be treated only by a change from within. The Fourth Step, if thorough and honest, may show that many of the feelings, perceptions and attitudes toward myself, other people and the world were developed in an alcohol- or drug-induced haze. But removing the haze by itself does not alter those perceptions. Let me understand that the reason for the 12 steps is to identify and treat the spiritual and emotional injuries. Today, while swearing off alcohol is a giant step forward, God grant me the knowledge that I must work for recovery and sobriety beyond abstinence alone. On this day, I choose sobriety over dry. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment