Friday, November 10, 2017

Nov. 10, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Nov. 10, 2017

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. ...Their chances are less than average." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 5 ("How It Works"), p 58.

Today, if enough is enough, if despair cuts too deeply, if fear gained the upper hand, if my lies are so many that I can't lie to even myself anymore, I seek the strength to take control and say no more to all of it and, especially, to commit myself not to be one of those who are "constitutionally incapable." Whether I am struggling not to drink but the bottle is winning or if I am giving temptation or craving the upper hand, today enough is enough and I muster the brutal honesty needed to avoid being one of the "constitutionally incapable's." If I allow dishonesty to be the way of my life, I have little chance of taking back control of my life and getting sober. I will not fall deeper into the gutter, nor will I keep lying to myself and anyone else simply because it has become a habit - even when telling the truth is easier. Today, I begin the work to become "constitutionally capable." Honesty is the starting gate. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment