Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Oct. 4, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Wednesday, Oct. 4, 2017

"For me, AA is a synthesis of all the philosophy I've ever read, all of the positive, good philosophy, all of it based on love. I have seen that there is only one law, the law of love, and there are only two sins; the first is to interfere with the growth of another human being, and the second is to interfere with one's own growth." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Lost Nearly All," Ch 11 ("He Who Loses His Life"), p 542.

Today, how not to interfere with anyone's growth - emotional and spiritual - including my own. If the traditional definition of philosophy as an ideal state of life is applied to AA, then, no, AA is not a philosophy. Rather, it is a discipline because AA does not promise a rose garden with sobriety but gives us the tools to effectively deal with the thorns in the rose bed. And discipline is required to stick to the steps that help us deal effectively with the thorns of life. How do I not impede anyone's personal growth, including my own? Simple: look to Step 11 and seek my Higher Power's will and the ability to carry it out. His will, not mine, be done. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment