Friday, October 13, 2017

Oct. 13, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Oct. 13, 2017

"A 'spiritual experience' to me meant attending meetings, seeing a group of people, all there for the purpose of helping each other; hearing the Twelve Steps and the Twelve Traditions read at a meeting, and hearing the Lord's Prayer, which in an AA meeting has such great meaning - 'Thy will be done, not mine.' A spiritual awakening soon came to mean trying each day to be a little more thoughtful, more considerate, a little more courteous to those with whom I came in contact." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 10 ("It Might Have Been Worse"), p 381.

Today, if somewhere in AA I have become even "a little more courteous to those with whom I came in contact," I may not yet realize I have experienced a spiritual awakening. And to experience such an awakening, maybe I can understand the spiritual component of the program even if I still think I have no faith. To have a spiritual experience even if it is something as seemingly minor as being a little more courteous to other people, logically requires a spiritual belief - even if I cannot or will not acknowledge it. Today, if I can honestly see even a small change in myself for the better, I may be starting to see the possibility of a power greater than myself. If so, I'm on the right track toward recovery. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment