Thursday, September 7, 2017

Sept. 7, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017
Reflection for the Day
"If you're not alright the way you are," it's been said, "it takes a lot of effort to get better. Realize you're alright the way you are, and you'll get better naturally." Sometimes we find ourselves in a situation so difficult that it seems insoluble. The more we think about it, the more we get on our own backs for our imagined inadequacy to overcome the situation - and we sink into depression. That's the moment to recall a single phrase, slogan, or bit of philosophy, saying it over and over until it replaces thoughts of the tormenting problem - which, in the final analysis, will take care of itself.
Do I sometimes forget that the thorns have roses?
Today I Pray
May I see that God gives us patterns so that we can take comfort in opposites - day follows night; silence follows din; love follows loneliness; release follows suffering. If I am ineffectual, may I realize it and try to do something constructive. If I am insensitive, may my friends confront me into greater sensitivity.
Today I Will Remember
Clouds have linings. Problems have endings.
Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment