Friday, September 15, 2017

Sept. 15, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, Sept. 15, 2017

" ...I can only say that whatever growth or understanding has come to me, I have no wish to graduate. Very rarely do I miss the meetings of my neighborhood AA group, and my average has never been less than two meetings a week. I have served on only one committee in the past nine years,  for I feel that I had my chance the first few years and that newer members should fill the jobs. They are far more alert and progressive than we floundering fathers were, and the future of our fellowship is in their hands." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "Alcoholics Anonymous Number Three," Ch 6 ("The Vicious Cycle"), pp 249-50.

Today, words that instill the program as a lifelong exercise and call to service. If I remain reluctant for whatever reason to propel myself into visible service, my own continued sobriety and emotional and spiritual growth can serve the newcomer by witnessing my own example that the program works. And, hopefully, with continued growth and nurturing, I may someday be able - even eager - to serve in a visible capacity such as a speaker, moderator at a meeting or giving a ride to a meeting to someone who needs it. Today, I strengthen my sobriety with more than gratitude by respecting it because, in the end, my own recovery and that of everyone else may well determine "the future of our fellowship." And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment