Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sept. 10, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017

Reflection for the Day
Years ago, Dr. Alfred Adler prescribed this remedy for depression to a patient:"You can be healed if every day you begin the first thing in the morning to consider how you can bring a real joy to someone else. If you can stick to this for two weeks, you will no longer need therapy." Adler's "prescription," of course, is not much different than the suggestion that we work more intensively The Program's Twelve Steps to rid ourselves of depression.

When I am depressed, do I keep my feelings to myself? Or do I do what friends in The Program have suggested that I do?

Today I Pray
May I turn myself inside out, air out the depression which has been closeted inside me, replace it with the comfortable feeling that I am cared about by real friends, then pass along that comfort to others caught in the same despair.

Today I Will Remember
The only real despair is loneliness.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment