Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nov. 21, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013

"Here was - power! ...(T)o live to the end of any given day, power to have the courage to face the next day, power to have friends, power to help people, power to be sane, power to stay sober. That was seven years ago - and many AA meetings ago - and I haven't had a drink during those seven years. ...What is this power? With my AA friends, all I can say is that it's a power greater than myself." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 16 ("Me An Alcoholic?"), pp 436-37.

Today, we are told in the First Step that we are powerless over alcohol - not powerless over everything. In surrendering in Step One, I have begun to reclaim the power to take back what my powerlessness over alcohol has taken. I can assert my power not to be controlled by alcohol simply by not drinking. I can take back the power to face the new day with full remembrance of the day and night before, and I can work for the power to overcome powerlessness, helplessness and hopelessness. The power that is at my command is in the choices I make, and the benefit to have choices is a gift - graced on me by whatever Power is greater than myself. Today, while I must acknowledge that over which I am powerless, let me understand the strength of the power that I do possess. God grant that I use it wisely. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment