Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nov. 15, 2012 - Just for Today

Just for Today
Thursday, Nov. 15, 2012


" ...(L)ife among Alcoholics Anonymous is more than attending gatherings and visiting hospitals. Cleaning up old scrapes, helping to settle family differences, explaining the disinherited son to his irate parents, lending money and securing jobs for each other, when justified - these are everyday occurrences. No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially - if he means business." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 11 ("A Vision For You"), p 161.

Just for today
, I must believe that I am not "too discredited" or have "sunk too low" to begin my private journey to recover. But, as the Big Book qualifies, I have to "mean business." What does this mean? That I absolutely must surrender at the very beginning, to Step One in which I concede that "(I) am powerless" over alcohol or any other addictive substance or behavior, and then to Step Two where I must at least be open to the possibility of a Power stronger and greater than myself. When I can say with all honesty that I have bowed to these two Steps, I am "ready to take certain steps," the ones that lead me beyond just being dry and to being sober. Yet working the Steps and going to meetings are not enough, as this narrative in the Big Book implies. "Cleaning up" the wreckage of my drinking days requires work beyond mouthing the words of the Steps and going to meetings. My recovery takes work. I have no right to sobriety; I must earn it. And once I have received it, God granting, I will have the wisdom and courage to nurture it, and that means continued working of the Steps, reassessing my Program to change as I hopefully grow in my recovery and, just as important, being in service to those who need the lifeline that is the Program. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment