Thursday, July 19, 2012

July 19, 2012 - Today's Gift from Hazelden


Thursday, July 19, 2012
Today's thought from Hazelden is:
Just because you have a . . . handicap . . . doesn't mean that you can't be happy; it just means that it takes a lot of work to figure out how to do that. -- Jodie Foster

One day a blind woman prepared to cross a street. But as she did, her cane made contact with a car parked in the crosswalk. "Who owns this car?" she demanded in a loud voice. "This car is in my way. Can't anyone notice I am blind?" A man tapped her on the arm. "I am blind, too," he told her. "but my dog and I would be happy to take you across the street."

The woman drew her arm back from his touch. "This is not right," she snapped. "Yes it is wrong," agreed the blind man. "But my dog and I would be happy to take you across the street."

Having a visible handicap, or an invisible one such as an addiction, can be stressful. You have to work extra hard doing things most people take for granted. Yet rather than bemoan the difficulties and challenges you face, you can be thankful for those who offer help by providing a guiding arm, holding a door open, or offering a seat in a crowded meeting. 

Today I will accept the assistance of those who reach out to me.
From the book:
Morning Light © 2011 by Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment