Saturday, September 30, 2023

Sept. 30, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, Sept. 30, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Half of the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important.

— T. S. Eliot

Humility is a wonderful gift for us addicts. We tend to think we are better or worse than everyone else. We are not. Humility is simply knowing that we have a right to be alive and breathing as much as anyone else and no more.

Of course, we are different in some ways. We have different talents and gifts. We each have a great deal to offer, and that is good because there are a lot of needs in the world. Our job is to pitch in and make the work lighter for everyone.

Humility means taking on the role of showing up for life and doing our best. We don’t expect others to do all the work for us. We don’t stand outside the group feeling that we are not good enough to join in. We show up, suit up, and get to work.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, thanks for helping me enjoy being part of the human race, for showing me that I’m a person who has gifts and talents that I need to share.

Today’s Action

Today I will list the talents and gifts I bring to people. Then I will ask two people, “When you see me coming, what do you expect me to bring to whatever is going on?”  I will write down what they say.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment