Thursday, September 21, 2023

Sept. 21, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Simple Things

Life was very complicated for me at one point, which is why I am so drawn to the simplest things today. The word simple, means “easily understood and done.” It took me a while, but I understand simple now, and I do it quite well most days. It doesn’t mean I don’t add things to my life; I just add them in an intentional way.

Several years ago, I bought myself a milk frother so I could enjoy a creamy coffee or tea latte whenever I liked. It still brings me the greatest joy. I love reading and buy a lot of books but also treasure my trips to the public library. Having a novel on the go every day of my life is simple but entirely satisfying. A sunrise, a sunset, flannel pajamas, a puzzle (but not over one thousand pieces), playing with my little grandkids, or lighting a fire in the fireplace — these things fill me up more than any grandiose plans or projects ever could. Laura Ingalls Wilder said, “It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” I can’t argue with that. How do you do simple?

I’m grateful for the simple things that I’ve learned to love in recovery.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment