Saturday, July 16, 2022

July 16, 2022 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Grace

But for the grace of God, there go I. — John Bradford

When we come in contact with those who have not yet found the program, our first reaction is one of relief and gratitude. “There but for the grace of God, go I,” we think. The next reaction is “How can I help them find what I’ve found?”

Before we began recovery, we would have traded in our lives for almost anyone else’s. Now after a time on the program, we feel differently about ourselves. We hear people giving thanks for their disease. They tell us without their disease they wouldn’t have found the program, and without the program they wouldn’t have found recovery.

We quit our addiction before, and it never produced this sense of well-being. The difference is the program, the fellowship, and our connection with a Higher Power.

Whatever it was that brought me to the program, I have learned to be thankful for it. As I come in contact with those who still suffer, I can never forget that if it weren’t for the grace of God, I would be where they are today.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment