Friday, May 18, 2018

May 18, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Friday, May 18, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

A man is what he thinks about all day long.
 — Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is true for women too. We sure learned that about our disease as well. It kept us thinking about alcohol or drugs all day every day until we could think of little else. Finally we became addicts, gobbled up by our all-consuming thoughts and cravings.

Now in recovery, we can be something else. We are becoming free of our addiction, and our minds can think about other things. What do we want to think about? What do we want to be?

It’s easy to let the noise around us tell us what to think about. At the end of the day, we can end up feeling out of touch with who we are. We’ve been giving our minds to whatever is on the radio, television, or the gossip grapevine at work or school. That’s why it’s good to spend part of each day thinking about things we truly think are important and worthwhile.

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, help me understand that what I do with my mind and my time is important. What I do with my mind is my inner life. What I do with my time is my outer life. Together they define who I am.

Today’s Action
I will think about the way I use my mind and my time today. What feels good and fits for me? Is there anything I want to do differently tomorrow?

You are reading from the book:
God Grant Me. . . © 2005 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment