Friday, February 16, 2018

Feb. 16, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Friday, Feb. 16, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Love itself is not an act of will, but sometimes I need the force of my volition to break with my habitual responses and pass along the love already here.
 — Hugh Prather

The familiarity of isolation is both haunting and inviting. In our separateness we contemplate the joys of shared hours with others while seeking the freedom from the pain that likewise hovers on the heels of intimate relationships. The question eternally whispering around our souls is, “Do I dare let you in, to share my space, to know my heart’s longing, to feel my fears?” Only when we trust to say yes will we find the peace our souls long for.

Passage through the doors that separate us frees us to change, to grow, to love ourselves and others. We must plant our feet in the soil of shared lives to quiet our longing.

You are reading from the book:

Worthy of Love by Karen Casey. © 1985 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment