Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dec. 31, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden, Part 2

Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Celebrate: To observe an occasion with appropriate ceremonies of respect, festivity, and rejoicing.--The American Heritage Dictionary
New Year's Eve marks the end of one year and the beginning of another. In the old days of our using, we used this day as an excuse to drink, use drugs, and act wild and crazy. We did not really think about honoring the year that was ending or about welcoming the new year.

Some recovering folks spend this evening with their families, playing games, watching videos, and sharing plans for the coming year. Other recovering folks invite recovering friends over for supper or go to a special Twelve Step meeting or a sober dance. Some attend special religious services, perhaps at a church, synagogue, mosque, or sweat lodge.

The ending of the year is an important occasion to celebrate. We are alive, and we are on the path of recovery. It has been an important year!
Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, thanks for the good things that have happened this year. Help me stay sober so that I can live the coming year in Your love and protection.Today's Action
I will use this night to honor the changes in my life. I will list ten good or important things that have happened this year. I will find time to talk about them with someone tonight as I celebrate. I will remember to have fun, to be sober, and to be safe.
From the book:
God Grant Me. . . © 2005 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment