Saturday, January 26, 2013

Jan. 26, 2013 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013

Today
, I can simplify my Program as it has evolved from my first meeting to consist of three concepts: choice, consequences, and responsibility. I understand now that drinking is a choice and that "reasons" I concoct to justify taking a drink are nothing more than rationalizations or contributing factors that I am surrendering my control to choose wisely. If I choose to drink, there are the inevitable consequences as all actions have consequences, and my long history with drinking proves that the consequences are usually the same, are never less and usually progress or worsen. And with those consequences comes responsibility to them, and the consequences are predictable: a hangover, probably regret at what I did or said when I was drunk, maybe another DUI or OWI, possibly waking up in the county jail's drunk tank - again. Today, the consequences are too high for me, and I don't want to be responsible for them. And if I don't want to be responsible to the consequences of drinking, the choice is clear and logical: choose not to drink. And I choose not to. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment