Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Dec. 18, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2012
Just for today, if the holiday season actually is a difficult or painful period for alcoholics, I choose not to focus on the losses or conditions that might make the season less than what it was in the past. I will not languish in the pain or mourn the losses of people who might once have been part of happier holidays, nor will I obsess in my guilt if my behavior contributed to this season not being what it could be. Instead, I will seek out examples that other people are in greater need and want than I. If for no other reason than to force my attention off myself, I will volunteer for active work with a social service agency that helps people in need especially at this time of year, or to another cause that serves something other than my own. May I understand today that my own pain, regret or losses may well be less than someone else's, and I need to be grateful that mine are no greater. Today, I choose to seek a reason to celebrate; I reject pain and sorrow. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment