Thursday, September 13, 2012

Sept. 13, 2012 - A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012

Reflection for the Day
We hear often in The Program that pain is the touchstone of spiritual progress. We eventually realize that just as the pains of alcoholism had to come before sobriety, emotional turmoil comes before serenity. We no longer commiserate with all people who suffer, but only with those who suffer in ignorance - those who don’t understand the purpose and ultimate utility of pain. In Proust’s words, “To goodness and wisdom we make only promises; pain we obey.”

Do I believe that pain is God’s way of trying to get my attention?

Today I Pray
May I understand the value of pain in my life, especially if I am headed breakneck down a track of self-destruction. May I know that pain is God’s way of flagging down the train I’m on before it gets to a bridge wash-out. May I be thankful that pain forced me to throw the switch in time.

Today I Will Remember
Pain saves lives.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment