Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sept. 12, 2012- A Day at a Time

A Day at a Time
Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2012

Reflection for the Day
“At certain moments,” wrote Coleridge, “a single almost insignificant sorrow may, by association, bringtogether all the little relics of pain and discomfort, bodily and mental, that we have endured even from infancy.” The Program doesn’t teach us to pretend that hardships and sorrow are meaningless. Grief really hurts, and so do other kinds of pain. But now that we’re free of our addictions, we have much greater control over our thinking. And the thoughts we choose to spend time on during any given day can strongly influence the complexion of our feelings for that day.

Am I finding different and better ways of using my mind?

Today I Pray
May I thank God for the pain - however insignificant - that magnetizes my succession of old hurts into one large one that I can take out and look at, and then discard to make room for new and present concerns. May I thank God for restoring my sensitivity to pain after the numbness of addiction.

Today I Will Remember
I can thank God for restoring my feelings.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment