Friday, February 25, 2022

Feb. 25, 2022 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Friday, Feb. 25, 2022

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

I don’t want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did. — Henry James

When we don’t know ourselves very well, we may be desperate to have everyone like us. Sometimes we even notice more intently that one person who doesn’t seem to like us than the many who do. We are looking outward to verify that we are okay. Of course, it feels good to have someone else like and respect us. Until we begin to know and accept ourselves, we have an unquenchable, unselective thirst for more applause from others. In that condition, the search for others’ approval drives us like the need for survival.

It is amazing how our sense of ourselves grows as we live in the Twelve Step program. We get to know ourselves by working the Steps, and we develop into the kind of men we respect. Now, having others like us is no longer a survival need. It is a wonderful benefit of being part of the human community.

Today, I am grateful for the true friendships that I have in my life.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment