Sunday, August 24, 2014

Aug. 24, 2014 - Step by Step

The Serenity Prayer
Step by Step
Sunday, Aug. 24, 2014

"At last, acceptance proved to be the key to my drinking problem. ...When I stopped living in the problem and began living in the answer, the problem went away. From that moment on, I have not had a single compulsion to drink." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, "They Stopped in Time," Ch 17 ("Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict"), pp 448-49.

Today, after living so long in the problem of drinking, let me understand and believe that now, as an alcoholic who does not drink, I am free to live in the answer - sobriety. By living in sobriety, I a, free of fighting the temptation to drink again, free of the fear of being caught and of shame, anger, resentment, loneliness and hopelessness. The problem of drinking offers no freedom; the answer of sobriety does. Let me think and re-think until I understand the fine line between living in the problem of resisting temptation to drink and living in the answer of sobriety and, in understanding, I can begin to loosen the problem's grip on me and embrace the answer. And the answer is the Program and the principles it impresses. Today, I no longer have to fight or live with the problem; I have an answer. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment