Monday, October 21, 2013

Oct. 21, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden

Monday, Oct. 21, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is:
I wish my parents would trust me and understand that I am trying my hardest.
 -- Anonymous

Parents are hard to understand at times. Sometimes they give double messages. They tell us what is really important is that we try our hardest. Then they seem crushed when we do try our hardest but don't do as well as they expected. We sometimes wish they would stop getting themselves mixed up in us. We don't always want the things they want for us.

We hope our parents know that we're really trying. It's true that we'll make mistakes, but isn't that normal? It might help if we knew more about what it was like for them growing up. Maybe it's time to risk asking them.

Today let me get to know my parents a little better.
From the book:
Our Best Days by Nancy Hull-Mast. © 1990 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment