Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Aug. 29, 2012 - Just for Today


Just for Today
Wednesday, Aug. 29, 2012
Just for todayI must understand that serenity in recovery comes from within and not from people and things on the outside. I wasted too much time, emotion and energy in my drinking days searching and even clinging to outside things and people on who I vested my sobriety. But now I must accept that my sobriety is vested within myself. I no longer can expect and even demand that the world and other people change to accommodate my recovery but that I must change myself to fit into my world and the people in it. The Steps of AA give me the road map to arrive at such a lofty destination, in Step Four: “Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.” Steps Five, Six and Seven, then, guide us through the admission to God, to ourselves and another human being the “exact nature” of the wrongs we find in Step Four and through asking God to remove our shortcomings. The Steps are dependent on action by me, not someone or something else. Today, I begin assuming responsibility for both my addiction and recovery relying solely on the Steps of AA. And our common journey continues. Just for today. - Chris M., 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment