Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Oct. 1, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 


Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024

Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Sponsorship Saves

For years, I used to think that acceptance meant I had to like something to accept it.

Oh, no, I don't have to like it. I just need to accept it. To let it go. There's a lot of things I don't like about my life, but today is like, wow.

One of the amazing things I've learned in recovery is how to be somebody's sponsor. I have AA pamphlets and the sponsorship book. As your sponsor, I'm not willing to let you just flop around and not do something. I'm not going to let you waste your time; we're going to work together. That's something else I tell my sponsees: if you don't make progress with me, I will cut you loose so you can find the one that's supposed to be working with you.

Today I'll remember that working with others through mentorship and sponsorship brings progress on my path of recovery.

-- Stephanie C., U.S. Navy, 1978–1983

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment