Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Jan. 23, 2024 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2024

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

This above all: To thine own self be true.

— William Shakespeare

Sometimes we hear that we have a “selfish program.” In our case, being selfish means that we ask for help when we need it. We go only to places that are safe for us, no matter what others are doing. Being selfish comes to mean safety for us.

Being selfish doesn’t mean we act like brats. We must act in ways that show respect and love –- for ourselves and for others. Being selfish means we do what is good for us. What is good for us? First, we have to save our lives by stopping our drinking and drugging. Next, we start working the Steps. We come to know a loving Higher Power. This is how we come to know our true self. And this is why our AA medallions include the words “To thine own self be true.”

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, help me be true to myself and my values. Help me be “selfish” about spending time to talk with You each day.

Action for the Day

I’ll list ten ways I need to be “selfish” in recovery. If I get stuck, I’ll be selfish and ask for help.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment