Friday, July 21, 2023

July 21, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Friday, July 21, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Hope

Recovery was always in the back of my mind, but I had given up on the idea of being able to recover. I didn’t know where help was, and I didn’t know how to get it. No one offered it to me. I thought you had to have people who cared about you. I thought you needed people to personally reach out and get you help.

I didn’t believe it at the time, but law enforcement was trying to help me. One of the officers had told me so at one of my arrests. He said, “We’re going to get you the help you need today.” I was just so mad at him. I was mad at the whole world. In reality, they were the ones who cared about me. Every time I caught another charge, I would get one step closer to being where I needed to be

My probation officer was the one who finally did the intervention that I always wanted and needed. For that, I’m so grateful.

I have to be part of my recovery. God will help me move mountains, but I have to bring the shovel.

— Emil C., U.S. Navy, 1995–1997

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment