Monday, April 3, 2023

April 3, 2023 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Monday, April 3, 2023

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

The present moment is all we are certain of.

How we lament the past! Why didn’t we handle that situation differently? If only we had not given in! We like to think that if we could replay the past, we could do it more successfully, certainly less painfully. But the past is gone. We lived it as honestly and thoughtfully as we knew how at the time.

Anticipating the future seduces us as well. “What will I say if he doesn’t come home?” “Should I apologize if she seems mad?” “Will my boss expect me to handle something I am unfamiliar with?” Using the hours we waste worrying about future possibilities, we could finish many of today’s projects. And reflection on our lives shows us that most of the things we worried about didn’t happen anyway.

Right now, this moment is the only one we can be certain of. Of course, we can also be certain that we have a Higher Power to help us handle whatever emerges in every moment of today.

I will live today moment by moment. I will be prepared for the future when it comes.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment