Thursday, November 17, 2022

Nov. 17, 2022 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

 

Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022

Today’s Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Isolation is like a tomb. — Ian Kennedy Martin

The end road of addiction is isolation. As our illness surrounded our hearts and souls, we lost the ability to truly connect with others. We became trapped in a tomb with someone we couldn’t stand, our Addict. The voice of our Addict kept haunting us with what we had become. The faces of those we had chased away also haunted us.

As our illness created more pain, we used more chemicals. The Twelve Steps and the fellowship of the program offer a passage out of our tomb. We may be scared at times because we don’t always know where the Steps will lead. But they are the way out. We need to follow them, to keep walking until we see the light of our Higher Power and the smiles of the fellowship. We need never be trapped in the tomb of isolation again.

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, thank you for your guiding light. Help me use it and follow it. Thank you for the new friends I can turn to when I feel alone.

Today’s Action

Today I will connect with others and give thanks to my Higher Power. I will remind myself that if I feel alone, it is now by choice, and I can make different choices.

Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment