Tuesday, March 27, 2018

March 27, 2018 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Today’s thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

How can I believe in a Higher Power? I was taught that God is just an idea that weak people use as a crutch.
 — Alcoholics Anonymous member

After we admit how serious our addiction is, we have to face our fear and sadness. Without the help of a Higher Power, we are hopeless. That’s why we each must find a Higher Power that can give us the help we need.

Some of us don’t like Step Two because we think it asks us to believe in somebody else’s idea of God. It doesn’t. It doesn’t even ask us to believe in our own idea of God. The most important thing is to find a Higher Power – not necessarily the Highest Power – to help us stay sober, one that can teach us to succeed in sobriety and one that we trust.

We don’t have to understand this Higher Power. We just have to believe that it works.

Prayer for the Day
Higher Power, I ask You to come into my life and show me how to trust and understand You.

Today’s Action
Today I will make a list of three people or things that know more about recovery than I do. I will circle the one I trust the most.

You are reading from the book:

God Grant Me. . . © 2005 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment