Sunday, August 20, 2017

Aug. 20, 2017 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation

Sunday, Aug. 20, 2017
Today's thought from the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation is:

Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand.
 -- Thomas Carlyle


"Five years down the road," says Jack, "I want to have a new job, an intimate relationship, and a bigger house. I want to be earning more money and feel better about myself." What nice dreams! But what is Jack doing for himself now?

"My relationship is not going well," sighs Sarah. "This isn't the first time I've been told I have the same character defects. Someday I really want to make changes and be in a warm, supportive relationship. Then I'll be happy." But how can Sarah expect to have a wonderful relationship if she doesn't begin her work now?

"My family is so messed up," declares Leslie, a parent. "No one communicates. If we had a bigger house we wouldn't argue so much or be so disorganized. When Bill and I start making good money, we can look for that dream house." But when will Bill and Leslie work on the family problems they're having now?

I can begin to see what lies clearly at hand - not a dream or goal years away from now. All I have is right now. Tonight I can build my future foundations by working on me.
You are reading from the book:
Night Light by Amy E. Dean. © 1986, 1992 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment