Monday, May 25, 2015

May 25, 2015 - Readings in Recovery: Today's Gift from Hazelden

The Serenity Prayer
Monday, May 25, 2015
Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Nobody can change my thoughts but me
The first of the Twelve Steps asks us to admit we are powerless. Our first question might be, Why?Shouldn't we try to change the conditions in our lives? Shouldn't we try to influence others to change too? If we put ourselves in good hands in this fellowship, we will begin to appreciate Step One. We will begin to understand that we are indeed powerless over other people. We can plead, complain, shame, cajole, but we cannot force them to see as we see. We will also begin to understand that we are not powerless over ourselves. Not today.

It may seem simplistic to blame our problems on how we ourselves think. After all, others are participating in our lives too. But only we have the power to interpret the experiences we're having. And we can decide to accept every experience as an opportunity for growth and adventure, as God's will. The old-timers tell us that is what Step Three means.

I can't change anyone else; all I can change is my mind. I will carefully watch my thoughts today.
You are reading from the book:
A Life of My Own by Karen Casey. © 1993 by Hazelden Foundation

No comments:

Post a Comment