Friday, March 21, 2014

March 21, 2014 - Step by Step

Step by Step
Friday, March 21, 2014
 
Today, I look to the Seventh Step to ask my Higher Power, in willingness and humility, for the knowledge to release my character defects, chief among them anger and resentment. But Step Six warns that I must be "entirely ready" to release those defects. So how do I become "entirely ready?" If I find myself obsessed with anger or resentment I still harbor against someone or something, even justifiably - to the extent that anger and resentment can be justified - and if I play out in my mind a scenario of "revenge" against that which I am angry or resentful, I am also thwarting a potential higher quality of sobriety than I might otherwise have. And, if for no other reason, I am empowering the person or situation that I still resent to the extent that they actually control me. It is, therefore, time to let go of the anger and resentment and leave to the Higher Power that whoever or whatever angers me will "undo" themselves - just as we as alcoholics have done so many times. Today, entirely ready, I ask my Higher Power to take from me the emotions I cannot handle and for the discipline not to take them back. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M., 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment