Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 12, 2013 - Today's Gift from Hazelden

Wednesday, June 12, 2013
Today's thought from Hazelden is: 
A good garden may have some weeds.
 -- Thomas Fuller

NewcomerI've done a few things I'm not proud of, but isn't that part of being human? Other people aren't perfect either.

SponsorLooking honestly and unflinchingly at our behavior, while at the same time having compassion for ourselves, is a powerful combination. Steps Four through Nine offer us a simple process for clearing up the wreckage of the past so that we can live without the burden of regret. In recovery, we have the opportunity to change for the better, not to demand perfection of ourselves or others.

My perfectionism sometimes makes me forget that I'm engaged in a process of change over time. It also lets me exaggerate both how "good" and "bad" I am. If I'm not "the greatest" in some situation, I decide, in my arrogance, that I must be the "the worst." What a strange way of giving myself importance! One of the program sayings reminds me not to compare my insides with other people's outsides. I have my own unique gifts; accepting and nurturing these gifts brings me joy and allows me to contribute to the human community.

We're capable of feeling love and compassion for others who are far from perfect. In recovery, we can learn to extend that love and compassion to ourselves.

For today, I will delete "perfect" from my vocabulary and practice using the word "better."
From the book:
If You Want What We Have © 1998 by Joan Larkin

No comments:

Post a Comment